Copy a Datafile to your Desktop (or laptop) PC
To copy a datafile to your desktop PC, you must have ActiveSync installed on
your desktop. Do the following…
Submit the Datafile to the 100th Meridian Initiative Database...
- Connect the PDA’s cradle to the PC (USB connection) and to a
- Put the PDA in the cradle. Allow ActiveSync to make a connection
between the devices. If asked, choose “Guest Connection” on your
- In the ActiveSync program (on your desktop PC) click the Explore
icon and navigate to the SD Card (under My Device).
- Datafiles will have a .txt extension. You can drag and drop the
datafile to you desktop PC. This will copy the datafile.
Simply email the datafile as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
To Edit the datafile in Microsoft Excel before sending do this...
- Editing the datafile is optional
- Launch Excel on your Desktop or Laptop computer
- Select File - Open to get to the Open Dialog Box
- Look near the bottom for "Files of type:" and select "text files"
- Navigate to the folder where you stored the datafile and select it
- Excel's Text Import Wizard will open
- Select "Delimited" when asked for the original data type
- Click "next"
- When asked for "Delimiters," click the check box next to "Other"
- Type the carat symbol ^ (shift-6) in the box next to "other"
- Click "next"
- Click "finish"
FYI: There are two types of records in the data file: Boater Records and Destination records. The column headings refer to the Boater records. Destination records are specific to Boater Records and are tied by a common record number (RecNum). These will appear in the order in which the survey was conducted.
Contact David Britton
Office Phone: 817 272-3714